[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Possible Tesla list survey

I did one of these a couple of years back (still in the hands of
someone out there BTW ;)  One of the drawbacks of such a survey is
that the type of sparks produced by a coil is somewhat subjective.
Further impediments to dragging useful data out included guesses
at the actual power input (often based on transformer ratings). In
the case of NSTs I was able to make an educated guess based on cap
size (res/nonres charging), probable gap setting etc.  In the end
there was a fair bit of correlation between different coils based on
power input. One thing that did seem to pop out prompted me to look
at the merits of trying to run charging inductors with iron designed
for efficient operation at 50Hz at break rates of 400+. There was a
hint of a suggestion that charging efficiencies were not all they
could be. There didn't seem to be anything special about coils with
toploads that made frequency = 1/4 wavelength of the wire. Async
rotaries when used with unspecified ballasting made power input calcs
all but impossible in those cases. Secondary surge impedances were
wide ranging but didn't seem to make a lot of difference. I'd have to
see the chart again to do more digging.

Malcolm