[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

Russ,

I'll interject my comments within your posting. Thanx for picking those
nits.  : )

> Original Poster: "Thornton, Russ #CSR2000" <ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil>
>
> Robert,
> Accepting the offer to nit-pick may I offer the following comparison.
> Assuming that there may be some translative value here, we radar types >on
> the Eastern Range affectionately call our pulses "bangs".

Ahhh, so unlike some other radar types, you guys don't actually 'paint'
a target, you prefer to 'hammer' on it?  : )

> Although, there
> is no official definition, it is understood to be the entire pulse from
>rise
> to fall.

While I stated my own interpretation, it was strictly one of perception
applicable only to the spark gap driven TC application solely from its
acoustical affiliation.  To make my life even more confusing than it
needs to be, I readily accept the term 'bang', or 'bang size' in the
rise-duration-fall envelope of a power pulse envelope in a broader
engineering term such as the radar example you give. The amount of
energy precisely metered out of a PFN or capacitor during a triggered
event, that sort of thing. Heck Russ, I can wear either hat, depending
on the venue.  Do you like my shoes?

> Now the fact that they are in the order of microseconds may have
> some bearing on why we don't distinguish the full bang from just the
>rise as
> acoustically it's barely even a click. :^)
> Now,  I am far from an acoustics expert myself, but if we took a more
> related event, lightning.  Does the acoustic bang come from the arc >forming
> or from it collapsing.  Everything I have read is that the collapsing
>arc is
> what makes the thunder(bang).

I would definitely have to say that the acoustical event (thunder)
occurs from supersonic expansion of air within the plasma channel as it
is forming, not while it is decaying. Heck, you'd never hear the decay
over all that noise!

> Russ Thornton
> Sr. Radar Systems Engineer
> CSR 2040,