[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Possible Tesla list survey

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>
> I did one of these a couple of years back (still in the hands of
> someone out there BTW ;)  One of the drawbacks of such a survey is
> that the type of sparks produced by a coil is somewhat subjective.
> Further impediments to dragging useful data out included guesses
> at the actual power input (often based on transformer ratings). In
> the case of NSTs I was able to make an educated guess based on cap
> size (res/nonres charging), probable gap setting etc.  In the end
> there was a fair bit of correlation between different coils based on
> power input.

    There is one survey of about 50 coils on the webring somewhere, and I
seem to
remember that although there were a few exceptions, there were some general
trends
which held quite well. I have been using it to compare the coil I have
built and
some I am planning to others in order to make sure that the figure I plan
on using
are in the ball park.

--
*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *  Support your local *
*Tel. 01761 300615                             *     coroner....     *