[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lou Balint's Ne bulb maggy demo

<<
> I, for one, would like a more detailed description of this tool.  Was it
> simply a bunch of Ne bulbs on a board, or was it more involved?  Also,
> what was he driving the magnifier with...a signal generator, or was it
> actually tossing sparks around.  This sounds sorta like Bylund's idea of
> making a secondary coil with led's in series along the length, so you can
> see the actual current distribution, but that's obviously an invasive
> procedure and would not let you use the coil as anything other than a
> demo.

Steve,

Lou was powering the TC using a signal generator and amplifier.  the
max spark output was about 1" or so.  The neon bulbs were glued to
thin pvc pipes which pointed to the coil and toroid like fingers.  Each
pipe was separated by a couple inches and were arranged in a stacked
configuration.  Many neon bulbs were arranged along each pipe.

         _______

          extra coil   bulbs   support
                         on pipes  stalk

One side of each bulb was grounded.