[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Sparkgap Material

Hi All,

Iīve discovered something interesting. I use a multiple series spark gap
arrangement a la RQ or Terry Fritz.
Searching for different types of material to use for the electrodes I found
something very interesting. I used a set of several six sided aluminum stand
offs as electrodes. They are extremly easy to mount and the quech pretty good.
As the AL is attacked pretty hard by the spark energy it creates small pits
and craters on the stand offs.
These in turn allow many sparks to jump between the single gaps (much more
than with Cu tubing pieces.).
Although they start to look crudy pretty fast, it does not seem to have an
impact on performance.
At the time they are running on a <1kVA input TC, but I donīt think
performance or durability would suffer much at greater power levels. You will
probably have to upgrade to bigger electrodes, but you have to do this with Cu
pipe, too.

You might need to air cool (blast) them at highpower levels.
This would increase quench even further.

Just a thought,

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard