[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: COIL FORM FOR MONSTER BL COIL

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
>

> Thanx for the good tips above.  PVC pipe is not easy to locate in 2 inch
> or thereabouts diameters.  They make some 2 inch thinwall for built-in
> home vacuum cleaning systems but this stuff has insufficient strength.

Call any plumbing distributor and they should have PVC Schedule 40 or
Schedule 80 in sizes up to 4", if not bigger (although pray you don't
have to buy fittings for the 6" stuff (about $100 each)). Here in Los
Angeles area places like Familian or Smith carry the stuff. Check the
big green Thomas Register.

The usual Home Depot sort of place around here doesn't carry anything
bigger than 1 1/2".

Also, although they are expensive, McMaster-Carr
(http://www.mcmaster-carr-dot-com/) carries PVC pipe:

2" Sch 40 clear - 38.40 for 10 foot length
2" Sch 40 white - 13.34
4" Sch 40 white - 32.01
2" Sch 80 grey - 18.33
4" Sch 80 grey - 48.68

I wouldn't buy PVC pipe from them, because the shipping will eat you
alive, but it gives you an idea of an upper bound on pricing.

> The ABS I used was pretty strong and did not deform in my case, and it
> was readily available.  I've located some 2 inch diameter x 1/4 inch
> wall fiberglass tubing at a surplus place in 12 foot lengths and am
> contemplating making the long drive to score it for a large future
> resonator.  It would be absolutely ideal!

The fiberglass tubing is great stuff. I use a lot of Extren structural
stuff of one kind or another. For a price comparison, brand new, Extren
costs about the same as Aluminum in a comparable shape/size.  However,
watch out if the stuff has been lying in the outdoors and water with
unsealed ends, as they claim (in the documentation, I have no personal
experience with this detail) that it can absorb water along the fibers.