[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Auto Tuning A TC

In the best of all worlds a TC ought to just come up tuned perfectly
the first time. Well I think such a dandy situation is quite possible.
 I think that at least one variable and indeed the tuning of all
adjustable parameters on a TC could be made automatic by the use of
closed loop servo control systems. The first and most obvious
parameter for  adjustment automation would be the rotation rate of an
async-RSG by senseing the output voltage or current of the secondary.
My idea for a voltage sense element is a long daisy chain of high ohm
resistors soldered together and then potted in wax or plastic inside a
long plastic tube. This should allow you to sense the voltage output
of a TC by direct sampling at the output terminal. After you have
sampled the output you would rectify and filter the output and then
condition that signal to where it could be used to either slow or
speed the RSG. As the TC output voltage goes up while the RSG speeds
up the control voltage will tell the RSG to go faster and faster until
the RSG is spinning too fast and the TC output voltage will again
begin to drop at this point the sampled voltage will feedback through
the control system and in turn control the RSG to slow down. With the
right time constants and safety considerations the system should auto
stablize to the optimal output voltage for a given system. I guess
that many of you may have seen this sort of thing done before but I
was wondering if any of our more experienced coilers are now using
such a systems on their coils and if so what impressions do you have
of these sort of feedback systems? Obviously this same sort of system
could be used to adjust gap widths and primary inductance or coupling.
Just use your imagination.

I figured that this sort of system would be pretty common place but I
haven't read of anyone using this approach for a TC and I was just
curious why not.

Steve Ivy
adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com
Dallas Texas