[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparklength inquiry

  JohnF, Greg, Bart -

  Apparently we all agree with the fact that the TC spark length is related
to input power. However, we differ in how this relationship varies with
power. For example the following listing compares the JohnF streamer sparks
with the JHCTES controlled spark lengths.

  Power Input     JohnF    JHCTES
  680 W           42"      15"
  2100 W          64"      35"
  8400 W          128"     97"
  10 KW           15'      9.3'
  26 KW           25'      18.3'
  33.6 KW         21'      23'
  67 KW           31'      38'
  109 KW          45'      55'
  134 KW          42'      64'
  538 KW          84'      180'

  Note that both curves cross at about 33.6 KW with a 21 and 23 ft spark
length. The streamer sparks are longer below this level and shorter above
compared to the controlled sparks. The JHCTES data is from the computer
program and the Fig 2 graph in the TC Design Manual. This graph is based on
power levels to only 60 KW and has been extended to higher power levels
without actual test confirmation.

  Both curves are based on actual data from coilers and should be
consistent in their relationship which they are not. The streamer spark
curve should show a constantly longer spark length and the controlled spark
curve should show a constantly shorter spark length. There obviously is
something wrong with one or both curves. Also the data is assuming the coil
is operating at best efficiency which may not be the condition.

  It should be noted that the square root curve flattens out and ends up
with very little increase in spark length regardless of power input. This
would make a lightning bolt a couple miles long almost impossible? The
average lightning bolt has about 150 joules of energy.

  As both curves are based on limited coiler data the only way to solve the
problem is to collect more data from coilers. I agree a good survey would
be useful. Who is going to do the 538 KW test?

  John Couture