[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: resonant charging

In a message dated 9/25/98 10:34:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Hi all,
 	I just checked the parameters of my system with the lcr bridge again and
 noticed that my cap value has gone down quite a lot from my estimated
 value. I designed it to give resonant charging with my 9 kv 60 mA neon. I
 made this 17 nF, my cap now measures 12nF. The primary measures 22uH, and
 the secondary measures 13 mH. I am using a 18" x  3" toroid. I have 9 turns
 on the primary. Will I need to change anything to get the best out of this
 set up considering the lower cap value? i am getting 24" sparks to a
 grounded rod at the moment. I am using 150 thou of gap with vacuum quenching.

  many thanks.
 bob golding

 bob yubba-at-clara-dot-net >>

Bob,

Did you measure the capacitor initially?  What kind of cap is it?  Have the
plates separated somewhat?  I did some rough calculations and estimate that
your system needs about 15 nf of capacitance to be in tune when tapped full
out at turn 9.  With 12 nf, you should need about 10.1 or 10.2 turns on the
primary.  Can you add another couple of turns to the primary?

Ed Sonderman