[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC Supply for Mark

At 02:37 25/09/98 -0600, Reinhard wrote:

... Snip ...

>Hi Mark, ALL
>
>Anytime you run a multiphase setup you WILL have to rectify each AC unit
>before parallel or series connecting them. You have two ways to do this.
>
>First of all you can use one diode (or set of if the v rating isnīt high
>enough per diode) in each of the outer transfomer legs.

... Snip ...

>Second possibility would be to use a 4 diode full wave rectifier.

... Snip ...

>So, Mark, Itīs really up to you. If you need current go for the first. If you
>need voltage and / or donīt have high voltage diodes (for a 15kV NST you
>would need at least 30kV HV diodes for suggestion #1) go for suggestion two.

Thanks for the post.   I guess the *real* problem here is I have only
finished 1 coil (my first .... second in progress) and I don't really
*know* what I need !!!!

All I am really confident about is the current project will need greater E
in the primary to work effectively.  As discussed PP's are out and haven't
been able to find another suitable source.  Can get good quality NST's
(f.a.r.t. Resinblock variety) easily.  Not cheap but seem robust.

OK, so lets look at the likely options:

1.   Use 3-phase for DC with 6 HV legs (or as GL put it '12 cylinder supply')

	3 NST's 15 kV at 60 mA  =   10.5 kV -at- 360 mA

	What size primary cap could I go to & still charge up to 400 bps ?

	What sort of gap setting / Vgap would this suppport ?

	As E = 0.5 C.V^2, we get more bang from higher V,
		will 10kVDC be sufficient ?

2.   Stick with 1-phase AC and resonant charging, just double power supply
(cost of rectification = 1 more NST approx)

	4 NST's 15 kV at 60 mA

	Primary cap = 0.05 uF for resonant mode

	Current gap setting is 0.6mm (0.25") total.

I guess what I *really* want to know from the "masters" is which of these
do they feel (I don't expect cast-iron fact & guarantee - opinion is just
fine) will be a better option ??

Thanks in advance ;-)