[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NSTs and The HEAT

"There is a section that warns against underloading
the transformer relating to an insufficient length of neon tubing for
its
given
rating as it will cause severe overheating."

	My copy of the book is at work, so can't be sure, but wasn't the
caution relative to running the transformer with a light load AND	 a lot
of capacitive loading due to lead length?  The failure mode, of course,
would be to insulation breakdown.

	By the way, I ran an electrostatic dust precipitator powered by a 12
kV, 30 ma transformer for several years without failure.  It was
essentially unloaded.  (Half-wave voltage doublers on each end, but
running with at most microamps of output current.)

Ed