[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using sync gaps

In a message dated 9/27/98 9:14:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

- snip -

<<
 Bart, all,

 If anyone tries 120 BPS, the cap size must be matched to the
 system, or all bets are off.  Folks just drop a sync gap into
 their coil and expect great results.  Might happen, might not.
 If the cap's too small, the TC will *need* a high break rate to
 give a reasonable output spark.  Since 120 BPS is a low break
 rate, a larger cap is needed to keep the input power the same.
 Then there's the resonant charging aspect.  Sync gap TC's
 require more careful designing than other gap types.  If you've
 got power to spare, raising the break rate of any 120 BPS TC
 will increase the spark output.  This is not the question.  The
 question is efficiency.

 John Freau  >>

John, for some, I guess the challenge is to produce the longest sparks with
the least amount of power into the system.  For me, I rate the performance of
my coils by the longest sparks achieved for a particular size (diameter)
secondary- regardless of the input power (within reason) - where I live power
is cheap.

Ed Sonderman