[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG's different shape electrodes

> Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com

>     A thought occured to me regarding a sync. gap.  Has anyone tried using a
> set of three fixed electrodes placed symmetrically around a rotor with four
> electrodes to allow a break rate of 360 BPS?  The fixed electrodes would be
> connected via a bus to the rest of the circuit.  If properly aligned, this
> would allow the firings to occur at 30º,90º,150º,210º,270º,and 330º of the
> charging cycle.  One advantage I can see is that each pair of fixed
electrodes
> only "sees" about 1/3 of the total power and should not heat up as much,
> thereby reducing the resistance a little.

The main problem with these 'N*(N+1)' spark gaps is that
they have excessive dwell (% of the rotation where the
electrodes connect.)  They also encourage the designer to
use motors that are too slow.  In order to achieve a
reasonably short gap duration, the electrode speeds need
to be Mach 0.2 or greater.  For 360BPS operation, speeds
around 3600 RPM are considerably more efficient.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org