[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie questions. (fwd)

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 20:39:15 -0700
From: Tim Dempsey <tdempsey-at-easley-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Newbie questions.

Hi all,

I have a few questions about constructing my first(real) coil, any help
would be greatly
appreciated.  I recently acquired some 5' pieces of 2.25'' O.D. pyrex
pipe.  I am planning on winding my secondary around a bundle of 7 pipes,
cut(if I can figure out how to cut this stuff) to a length of approx.
30''(28'' winding.)  Will it cause any problems if my form is not
completely round?   Also, I am planning to wind the secondary using 26
gauge magnetic wire, bifilar wound.  I wasn't sure whether it would act
as two separate coils in parallel(Yuk) or decrease the resistance by
acting as one conductor.  I wound a small bifilar coil (2'' dia x 1.5'')
on a PVC form and measured the inductance of one coil and then with both
coils in parallel.  The inductance didn't appear to change, is this
correct or should I chuck my 26 for a spool of 20 gauge? And last but
not least, a friend of mine has a roll of polyester film he obtained
from a capacitor manufacturor,it is suppose to be able to withstand 10
kV, but I haven't been able to find any information on it's dielectric
constant or whether it's even good for pulse capacitors? Does anybody
have any information on the properties of polyester?

Thanks in advance,
Tim Dempsey
tdempsey-at-easley-dot-net