[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kraft paper (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:54:17 EST
From: Homer Lea <HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Kraft paper (fwd)

> I keep seeing mention of "Kraft" paper in capacitor discussions.  What is
>  this and where can I get some to try?
>
>  -Adam
>   absmith-at-tiac-dot-net

it's the brown paper you see packages wrapped with. has anyone tried thicker
paper? i have various kinds of porous thicker papers and rolls of krinkle
kraft' a thick craft paper with a wrinkled surface that would provide more
space for oil between layers. i can send anyone a sample to try out if they
pay postage. also you have to watch out what paper you use. most paper
contains sizing to make it water repellant for offset printing, to add
stiffness, etc. some types contain electrically conducting compounds and
compounds that would make for a very lossy capacitor. recycled paper may
contain specks of metal. there must be some way to test the paper by making a
small 2 plate capacitor and testing it.

jim heagy