[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TOROID?? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:35:45 -0800
From: Mark Bean <cyber-x-at-eni-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: TOROID?? (fwd)

Hi All,

You might want to try to smooth the surface as much as possible. Before I
purchased spun aluminum toroids, I used a foam toroid from a art & craft store.
I covered it with aluminum foil tape from the hardware store.  I found that by
applying the strips in smaller sections, it decreased the amount of folds and
creases. In addition, use a cloth to smooth down the surfaces and avoid  any
burrs, dents, or sharp edges as much as possible. Remember that angles protruding
from an electrically charged surface allows an avenue for corona discharge.

I would not be too critical of this, simply because you are operating a Tesla
Coil and not a electrostatic device such as a Van De Graaff or Whilmshurst
generator, where premature capacity discharge is not desirable.

Good Luck with your project,

Mark Bean
http://www.virtualtheater-dot-com