[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac arcing = kickback? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:35:38 EST
From: Esondrmn <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Variac arcing = kickback? (fwd)

-snip-
<<
 I have a custom-built control panel that I use to run all of my
 development
 and "just for fun" coils.  It has a spark gap-HV interlock circuit, and
 two
 massive Filtron inductive/capacitive filters between the power input
 connector
 and the rest of the control panel.

 I don't usually use any filtering or protection between my HV
 transformers and the panel, but then I've never observed the problems
 you have.  I always make
 certain that my control panel is tied into a heavy (&short!) safety
 ground
 that is _separate_ from the ground used for the secondary and HV parts.
  -snip-
-Gomez

I also use a separate ground rod system for all the 60 HZ grounds.  I have
this connected to the line filters, variac cases and most everything else in
the control circuitry.

Ed Sonderman