[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Voltage/Length (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 13:02:43 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Voltage/Length (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Jeff,

Unfortunately, there's no general rule for sparklength versus voltage,
especially for Tesla Coils, since it depends on lots of factors in
addition to humidity. If you can set up the coil to do a "single shot",
i.e., fire only once every second or so, and measure the distance that
the spark jumps to a grounded ball, you can use a very rough
approximation of about 20kV/inch. However, trying to estimate output
voltage on a running coil at fast breakrates by measuring sparklength is
an excersize in futility. A coil that produced "single shot" sparks to a
grounded ball of 20" can easily hit 60-70" at a 400 BPS breakrate.

Another way to estimate maximum voltage is by measuring the primary gap
breakdown voltage (scope and HV probe or AC voltage divider
[carefully!]), and calculating the "effective" secondary + toroid
capacitance by measuring the resonator operating frequency and
inductance and calculating backwards. Assuming that the system is in
tune, the maximum output voltage your coil will deliver is a linear
function of your gap voltage and the varies as the square root of the
ratio of primary and secondary capacitance:

Vout (max) = Vgap* sqrt(Cp/Cs)
where Cp = primary tank capacitance
      Cs = the combined secondary and toroid capacitance

A similar calculation can be made using inductances:
Vout (max) = Vgap*(Ls/Lp)
where Ls = resonator (secondary) inductance
      Lp = Primary inductance

In reality, various losses conspire to limit you to 70-85% of this value
in a disruptive Tesla Coil.

Safe coilin' to you, Jeff!

-- Bert --