[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: temperature to melt NST tar (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:32:58 -0800 (PST)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: temperature to melt NST tar (fwd)

Today I put an unpotted neon in a pan and filled it with kerosine.  I put
the pan on my camp stove and turned it on.  I put a cover on the pan because
the flash point of kerosine is 150-180 degrees F and the boiling point is
175-325 degrees F according to the Merck Index.  After about 30 minutes the
hot kerosine was hot enough that the tar melted and it came right off.  I
used a spoon to stir the kerosine a little.  When I removed the neon from
the kerosine it was very clean. The paper is a light brown and there is no
tar left on the windings. It worked.

Remember nothing will burn with out oxygen.  Thats why I used a cover on the
pan.  Just in case it caught on fire I could put it out.  The cover must fit
very well and seal it off so no oxygen can get in if it catches on fire.
Take all safety precautions.

I have another neon that has been in high voltage oil for about 3 or 4
months.  It had a thin coating of tar on it before I put it in the oil so I
washed it in gasoline and removed all the tar except what was soaked into
the coils.  The oil use to be clear but now it is a dirty brown.  The tar
dissolved into the oil does not hurt anything.  It would be nice to have
clear clean oil but I think the oil would have to be changed several times
to make it stay clean.

Gary Weaver