[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Desktop Coil ground? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:21:05 -0500
From: michael white <mjwhite-at-okstate.edu>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Desktop Coil ground? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:27:36 -0800 (PST)
From: baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Desktop Coil ground?

[Proposed coil would be: 1"x10" 28awg, with a 2-3" spherical topload`
I will have to find ferrite toriods or sticks to build the protection
circut. At this frequency, he will be able to use a small cap, and yet
still get 5-6" arcs at least.
--
--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center

I have a small coil 2"x8" with a 4" sphere I ground it with an allunium foil counter-poise, about 5'x12" for my small coil. It works fine. You may want to check your hight to diameter ratio. Your proposed ratio is 10:1 you may want to drop that to 5:1 by using 2" secondary instead. Also many people run small single neon coils without chokes or safty gaps and neon failures are few. I don`t use a safty gap on my small coil but I do run two air core chokes. You can make an air core choke by wraping 24-26 gage wire on 2"pvc about 6" worth this will get you around 2mH. I use them on my coils with no problems. I never lost a neon. Hope this helps.

Everything looks like copper to a million volts.
Mike White