[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Desktop Coil ground? (fwd)

From: 	Esondrmn[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, January 20, 1998 11:55 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Desktop Coil ground? (fwd)

 I am in the process of designing/building a desktop coil for a friend
 that is a physics teacher. Can you think of a better way to get kids
 interested in science that arcs? :)
 Anyway: It is pretty obvious that said coil must be small,and that is
 not really a problem. What is a problem is how to ground the beast.
 The instructor is not allowed to do little things like pound 8ft rods
 into the ground outside the class.
 [Proposed coil would be: 1"x10" 28awg, with a 2-3" spherical topload`
 I will have to find ferrite toriods or sticks to build the protection
 circut. At this frequency, he will be able to use a small cap, and yet
 still get 5-6" arcs at least.
 --
 --
 Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center

Michael,

Set it on a metal desk and use the desk for the ground plane.   Or, bring a
roll of metal window screen material or light guage metal fencing (like
chicken wire with the small size holes) with you and spread it out on the desk
or on the floor under the coil.  Should work just great.  The screen should be
about the same size as a desk (3.5 x 5.0 feet ?) - it isn't critical.

Ed Sonderman