[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SPARK LENGTH vs. VOLTAGE

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, January 21, 1998 12:53 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: SPARK LENGTH vs. VOLTAGE

  Bill -

  Your intuition served you well in coming up with the 5.54 MV for your 13 M
coil using the info from the Kotter & Smith article. It is interesting to
note that the 5.54 MV is bracketed by the voltages that are found using the
equation that I posted earlier on the Tesla List. For example:

  40 ft spark   KV = 65 x (40X12)^0.7 = 4895 = 4.895 MV

  55 ft spark   KV = 65 x (55X12)^0.7 = 6118 = 6.118 MV

  I read the Kotter & Smith article several years ago and took the
information into consideration when working on the equation. However, the
Kotter & Smith info would not be as accurate for Tesla coils because it was
based on a radio transmitter using continuous waves and not a Tesla coil
using dampened waves.

  I agree the TC sec voltage cannot be accurately measured, however, it can
be resonably estimated using the correct equation. It is understood the
spark would be from a typical Tesla coil and would be a straight line spark
at standard air conditions.

  I also agree that statements are "moot", that is subject to argument and
discussion. In the past a small number of coilers have tried to solve the
TC sec volts problem by building coils and making the necessary tests. I
have used this information when available to develop the above equation. The
equation is speculative but it is all we have at the present. However, it
appears to be doing a resonably good job. I needed this equation for the
JHCTES TC computer program.

  Hopefully some coilers will build and test more coils in the future and
publish the data so a more accurate equation can be found. In the future you
may want to use the above equation instead of the Kotter & Smith info or
develop your own equation.

  John Couture