[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cable question

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, January 03, 1998 6:00 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Cable question

Now, i'm kind of curious.  How much resistance are we talking?  I went to
the local auto parts store (the small business kind, with an old guy
behind a counter with shelves of parts), and asked him for some "normal"
ignition system hookup wire.  He had mostly kits of full wiring systems,
but the stuff he had in bulk looks like stranded 14 gauge copper with
about .120" of black rubber over it.  It measures 0.0 ohms for 5 feet,
and I can't see anything unusual about it.  It's definitely not what I
would condsider "performance" cable either- I've seen that stuff and it's
not 8 cents a foot.

So the question is: is the resistance really supposed to be in the wire
itself, or is there a resistor moulded into the end plug perhaps? Seems
to me that if you wanted #14 wire with a constant non-neglegible
resistance per linear foot, it would have to be made of something other
than copper.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net