[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: State finalist in the science fair with a Tesla Coil

Kent, Kim and the list,

There have been several postings in the past on presenting Tesla Coils at
Science Fairs (check archive)

I have been a CA State Science Fair Judge for 14 consecutive years and have
had in that time one TC that placed first.

I also sponsor and select a special unique award, The Silicon Boule Award:
        http://www.usc.edu/CMSI/CalifSF/History/1997/pictures/BouleSr.html
                also 1998 etc

The problem for Judges is that merely building a model, however complex, and
presenting it is not Science.

That's not to say it wasn't difficult to do or very well done or meritorious
in grand ways. -just doesn't fit guidelines

To a degree it is Engineering and some fairs acknowledge that by having
Science and Engineering as individual categories with separate evaluation
criteria - Engineering requires the model to have some practical use and
demonstrate why the model is preferable to others more conventional. The
Science path is the better supported path, I believe.

Science demands using scientific methodology to prove/disprove a hypothesis.

The hypothesis needn't be complex, a call you have to make

        - a complex objective digs you a bigger hole to fill,  but feels
great when (& if) you are able to fill it !

With the Tesla Coil there are many facets of its operation this could be
applied.

  Its basic principles and laws should be well understood by the student and
presented well to the Judges.

        The nature of using Alternating Current as a source of energy -
positive and negative charging of the primary Cap.
           The Dielectric composition of the Pri Cap could be made into a
Project. The list contains much on this.
           The TC resonant frequency is AC energy that must pass through the
Pri Cap's dielectric with minimum loss (Hi-Q)        while being the source
of extremely high peak currents from the Plates stimulating the "flywheel
affect"
                requiring very low DC & AC resistance of those metal plates.

           The list concentrates on AC line as the basic energy provider
presenting special requirements on the dielectric.
                The HF resonant voltage must swing equally above the
positive & below the negative peak of an AC power source.

        A simpler analytical case would be the application of DC to the
primary (all discharges would be same polarity).
        The repetition rate would be more easily predicted/controlled with
DC.
        (AC case = more complex: static gap's unpredictable discharge
timing varies along a portion of the sine wave,
          rotary - needs synchronization lock with the incoming sine wave,
                rotational loading can affect timing but likely to a lesser
degree. (BIG motors lessen spark loading effect)

A study of affect of Pri/Sec coupling on performance:
        Resonant primary loosely coupled to a resonant secondary whose
capacitance includes space around the Secondary+Ctop
        The reason, need, special criteria for a switch to conduct extremely
high currents at high voltages and turn off -
        "quench" rapidly to transfer all the energy stored in the primary
into spark discharge in the secondary and/or
        how that's different than the more customary goal of an RF
generator to efficiently radiate an RF signal
                long distances to a radio receiver.

This fundamental understanding provides the basis for the real Science
experimentation using carefully thought out and executed plans, daily log
record entries, data, graphs, sketches and conclusions which is the Science
Project at it best.

  Many 'topics' could be chosen for investigation via the scientific method,

        some are complicated and ALL require firm fundamental understanding
and
        lots of intermediate hypothesizing and investigating through
experimentation, data recording and interpretation

        - pick old ones, or new ones generated out of you own interests,
curiosity, and experimentation.

        - an analysis of losses (most are in the gap) but an analytical
approach is needed and careful consideration of
                How does one study and instrument loss as it applies to a
Tesla Coil whose desired product is Air discharge
                - data tables and Graphs presenting data interpretation with
controls demonstrating science methodology

        - Loaded vs Unloaded Q (first define Q: Pri, Sec, Inductor,
Capacitor, System affect of DC resistance)
                remember inductive & capacitive reactance's are lossless -
only their resistance has loss & heat as a result

        - the 'nature' of the arc (hint - every arc whether produced by AC
or DC source is a self oscillating entity -
                (having measurable 'Peak' current, time of existence,
penetrating power, goes through air & glass, etc)
                each has unique inductance and capacitance with varying
resonance's ~1 to 20Mhz not related to tesla Fres.

        - the effect of input power vs output arc length (assuming controls
are applied and understood)

        - the affect of the length of Secondary Winding and/or wire size
#turns and inductance relative to arc length
                again the controls are important - control everything but
one variable so its contribution is the focus
                That's not as easy as it sounds
                - keeping in resonance: requires more/less Cpri and what
that difference contributes to new observations.

        - ion channel or rep rate timing to produce extended arcs, or to
achieve 1st arc extension (a fundamental finding?)

        - spark gap materials/configuration to produce the best output and
long life

Be careful that the hypothesis makes sense: hypothesizing that adding
capacitance to the pri or sec will cause loss of arc output is not effective
due to it being a fundamental property that resonance must be a control, not
a variable, unless you are trying to prove the fundamental property of
resonance. But then using the arc output may not be quantitative enough a
method or explain/demonstrate why it is. (other methods may load the
resonator too much, for example)

Apologies for the rambling - I intended more polish - but hope it helps -
don't let it weigh heavily, take any good.

The 'inside' of the secondary contains an energy field, more concentrated
than the external and probably more homogenous as its space to exist is
confined - so less likely to cause problems until you get near an end where
expansion starts.
I picture it much like a bar magnet, only that it is transitory in the order
of microseconds.

Dale   L.A.,(actually R.B.) CA