[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Advice needed on capacitor tests: update: BIG resonance!

<<
> In fact, I'm just doing the test again right now - with the cap connected I
> set the variac for an NST output of 800V. I removed the cap and I'm only
> getting about 85V. This must mean that I was actually getting about 10kV
> across my cap, no wonder I got the big sparks! this is a rise of nearly
> 10x!  Help!!! does this mean my xfrmr is useless for Tesla work? I can't
> see that my RC filter (desingned for the Tesla frequency) is going to stop
> this!

Alex,

Just set your static spark gaps at a normal spacing, and it will
limit your resonant voltage build-up and there'll be no problem.  The
voltage won't be able to go too high, because the gap will fire before
the voltage gets too high.  What you're seeing is normal for an NST
with resonantly matched cap.

John Freau