[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: re:flash tubes

Hi Nick,

>Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com
>
>Hi All,
>flash tubes do not break down at the 200-400V that the discharge cap
>is rated at.  There is a small pulse transformer (8-12kV) that gives
>them a pulse to ionize the xenon.

Snipola

Well actually, you CAN flash them w/o the pulse xformer. The voltage
across the electrodes just has to be high enough. A voltage source
alone wonīt get you very bright flashes (read Bert Hickmanīs answer
to Jimmy as to why). Using a cap parallel to the X-tube will get you
into the "normal" and "way above normal" brightness range. DC isnīt
necessary either.

However, while it WILL work, doing this to your flash tubes, it
drasticly
lowers their lifetime. As a matter of fact, I have seen tubes die in one
flash (and explode for that matter).

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard