[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MMC - its alive

Hi All,
         I just put my 0.013uF 12200V mmc into my little (300W) coil.  Boy
this beats glass plate and bottle caps.  Sizzling corona 6" from the
discharge terminal and
the spark gap sounds like a harrier taking off in my garage.  The xfmr is
6/60 so the cap is nicely overated (I do not believe that peak ac=dc for very
long)
This one uses 2 strings of 7 philips 0.047uF 1600V caps on parallel and cost
£14.
If we could get together and buy loads of these caps it would be good because
£1
($1.64) per cap is really extortionate.

Some thing odd happened when I was running it.  A totally normal run and then
3 bangs like shotgun blasts and a flash from the primary.  It has worked
normally since. Any ideas?

Nick Field