[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary size

I have heard (not having done extensive experiments myself) that having the
diameter of the primary be comparable to the height of the secondary is
good from a field distribution standpoint. HOWEVER, this probably really
applies to smaller table top coils, where the primary is serving as a
counterpoise for the top load. Electrum had the primary inside the
secondary, for instance. It is probably more an issue of coupling and
insulation (preventing arcing from primary to secondary). The coupling
issue is, in turn, an issue of charging currents for the primary circuit
(more current means you can use higher coupling)