[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Really wired them in series? (Was Re: fixing a transformer)

Hi Chris,

>Original Poster: Chris Tominkson <internetinbox-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>It works good, I managed to short three of mine wired
>in series and I fixed them all like that. I started
>them out at 250 degrees (F) and I think they ended up
>on 400 degrees in a couple hours.

Do you really mean wired in SERIES?? (45kV end to end
output)? Your xformers are center tapped. This means the
insulation of the xformer only has to hold up to 7.5kV above
ground. Wiring them in series really strains the insulation
and I am pretty sure they WILL fail again. In a "three in series
configuration" you canīt earth any connection. One thing to
remember with NSTīs is, that they are NOT designed to run
unloaded. The HV, they supply, is only needed to ionize the
gas under normal (= neon tube) operating conditions. As
soon as the gas is ionized (and the neon sign is in "conduction
mode", the voltage breaks down to around 300-900V (as they
are current limited). Using 45kV as a power source for a Tesla
coil will get you all sorts of headaches (like corona, hard to find
/ make caps, etc.) There really is no advantage of going above
16-20kV as input voltage. TC spark length depends on input VA
and input Joules, not on input voltage. Total VA rating remains the
same if you parallel or series the 3 xformers.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard