[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RS Components Poly Caps, + oil possibly for sale

Dear Nick Field and All...

I was just browsing RS components' web site here in the UK and I just
spotted a really good sounding range of capacitors. These are marked as
'Double Metallised Polyproylene' and come in several voltages a good range
of capacitances for coiling. The ones I noticed were the 1600V 0.1uF ones
(92 pence for 100+), 2000V 0.022uF (43p for 100+) and even 2500V 0.047 (104
pence for 25-95) and 0.1uF (169p for 100+). The specs quote "Suitable for
pulse operation in high frequency and high voltage applications with high
current stress, such as deflection circuits in TV sets, protection circuits
in SMPS's, and electronic ballasts."

Sounds ideal, but wonder if anyone else has any opinions on these - they
are made by Evox Rifa. Having got a bit cheesed off with layering my PE/AL
cap, and being worried by the expense of another 6 sheets of 60mil PE, I
noticed that this would be a good deal cheaper. I would use the 2500V
0.047uF ones, 7 in series, 10 strings in parallel, for a total of 0.0671uF.
This would price out at just over £70 excluding VAT and postage, giving me
a nice compact cap rated at 17,500VDC for my 10kV NST pair.

Also, Nick, if you can get these or equivalent at a cheaper price, I would
be interested!

In addition, I have a 25 litre barrel of Castrol Insulating Oil which was
over £75 exc. VAT new. I don't need it all if my MMC idea works, and if
anyone is interested in bringing a big enough container to the UK Teslathon
I may sell half of this at a discount. Give me an email if you are
interested.

Happy coiling everyone,

Alex Crow