[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NSTs and Cap Charging - A matter of "SGF" :-)

Malcolm, John, Ed, Richie, All,

	In an off list discussion, a new acronym occurred to me.  "SGF" = Spark
Gap Fibrillation.  The state of a spark gap where the firing becomes
uncontrolled or erratic such that efficiency is lost.

	As John Freau and R.E. Burnett mention today, with large cap values in an
NST systems, a static gap may not have the ability to add the needed
stability to the firing timing.  Thus, with a static gap, the firing may
drastically degrade into a chaotic state and efficiency my fall
drastically.  Just as the heart cannot pump blood efficiently when it's
timing is erratic, our TC's may not be able to pump power efficiently
without a sync gap acting as a sort of pace maker.  An analogy would be a
heart going into fibrillation.  Perhaps we could coin a new acronym for
this "Spark Gap Fibrillation (SGF) :-))

	This may give sync rotary gaps a big advantage over static gaps especially
when these new larger cap values are used in NST systems.  Since they are a
bit under damped regarding gap timing, the rotary gap may be a required
component to keep these systems firing just as they should for best
performance.

	Of course,  all this has implications in big pig systems too...  I knew
all these fancy computer models would pay off some day ;-)

Making my place in acronym infamy... :-))

	Terry

snip....