[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Now I'm a real coiler 51cm (over 20 inch) after 1 hour.

<< not tuned?
> 4) what determines the type of sparks - I prefer the "Lazy" ones that
> seem to take about 0,5 second to reach full length and then to disapper
> - but I often had rather more of a flickering effect.
> 5) I want to build a single gap with large brass water fittings - and
> with a vacuum quenchung (vacuum cleaner) or a synchronous rotary spark
> gap - which would be better and where can I find plans for a synchronous
> spark gap.

> I have a lot of other questions - but this will do for now.

> Just what every self respecting mad scientist should have in his cellar.

Congratulations on those results.

Lazy slow forming sparks generally are produced in small TC's by
using a low break-rate.  A low break rate can be obtained by using
wide gap spacings for an NST powered system, but the NST may
burn out from wide gap settings.  For this reason, a sync gap is
more suitable.  A sync gap is a regular rotary, except for two additions;
1) the motor is a sync motor, 1800 or 3600 rpm,  2) the firing phase
can be adjusted by rotating either the motor in a cradle, or the fixed
electrode position, or my rotating the rotor on the motor shaft.  You
can modify an ordinary induction motor to make it synchronous by
filing, grinding, or milling flats on the armature (squirrel cage rotor
actually).

John Freau