[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rolled PE Caps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: vitesse-at-primenet-dot-com
>
> What about 3mil stainless?
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

Stainless steel is a lousy RF conductor, especially if it's a magnetic
alloy. It can also be fairly tough stuff to work with. It might be
usable in a flat plate or extended foil design. I'd recommend using
aluminum foil - it's inexpensive, readily available, and almost as good
a conductor as copper.

-- Bert --

> At 10:38 AM 4/11/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
> >
> >Hi Kevin,
> >
> >>Original Poster: "Kevin Wahila" <knw2-at-lehigh.edu>
> >>
> >>What would be the difference if you used aluminum foil rather than
> >>aluminum flashing as the plates in a rolled poly cap?  It would just
> >>be so much easier to roll.  Would it perform as well though?
> >
> >In terms of capacitance: No difference.
> >In terms of holding up to the discharge current: No difference.
> >
> >I myself have sucessfully used kitchen foil in PE caps (while they
> >lasted...;o)), because Al flashing is a rip-off in Europe. A 10m^2
> >roll of 0.2mm (~0.010") costs around $60. It IS 99.9% pure
> >aluminum, but who needs this in a cap (esp. with THAT price
> >tag attached)?
<SNIP>