[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring inside a coil

Hi,

	I have done this quite successfully.  The fields and noise inside a top
terminal are very low and istrumentation can operate in there with ease. I
talked to Greg a while back about if he noticed any "problems" when he was
inside the sphere of his giant coil.  He said that he and his battery
operated scope noticed no ill effects and the environment up there seemed
very benign despite the 20 foot steamers and such shooting off the
terminal.  Of course, the Faraday cage is well known in the power industry
and is a proven technique.  Things can go wrong so great caution and
knowledge are always needed especially when one does the measurements
"personally".  I just saw the Greg himself has a post on this today so I'll
leave the rest to THE expert...

	Making measurements within the secondary coil is a different matter.
There are very high fields stresses in there and the devices will distort
and cause problems.  There are ways around this but I have not pursued this
to date.

	Terry