[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Scroungein' (fwd)

Due to constant design changes and new ideas....not to mention a
through flogging from Sam ;-) we are trying two seperate ideas.

Project 1
Design Goal: To produce 5' discharge from a 120VAC <20Amp input.
Secondary size: 25" X 4"
Secondary winding: 26 AWG? (any ideas?)
Secondary form Schedule 40 PVC 4" pipe with glued on endcaps
Winding method: Lathe....BIG lathe.
Primary winding: 1/4" soft copper tubing
Primary form: Flat helix?
Primary size? Number of turns/spacing????? any ideas?
Caps: Where can we get some? What size do we need? How long will they
last? We need rock-solid-reliability.
NST: 15KVAC -at- 30mA
Variac: ? what size do I need 20A?
Spark Gap:Static (no shrapnell) possibbly the Quick model
Torus: ?? biggest possible?
Anything else? What am I forgetting?

Prodect 2
Coil Name: Thor
Secondary size: 12" X 5' twin secondaries
Secondary wire: 18AWG
Secondary Form: 2  1X5" Sonotubes 1/4" Cardboard tubes
Primary Wire: 3/8" Soft copper tubing
Primary Size: ?
Primary Form: Flat Helix
Power Supply: 20KVA Pole Pig (Supplier?)
Spark Gap: 4 Pole Async Rotary in a 1.5" Lexan Enclosure (ideas?)
Control Circuitry:?? Ideas?
Caps: Big... Ideas? Suppliers? MMC?

Possible "Magnifier" setup insted of twin secondaries?

Design Goal: Biggest possible discharge:

Both coils will be housed in a dediated "High Voltage" room.
Room dimentions : 70' Long X 32' Wide X 23' High
Raised wooden floor (concrete floor 3' below for 26' ceiling height)
can be remooved if needed.
Brick walls 3-5' thick
Dual RF dedicated grounds to 10' Ground rods on 0AWG ACSR conductors.
Concrete ceiling with 3' X 6" I-Beams every 3'

Power supply (Mains): 480VAC -at- 500Amp 3Phase to 100 KVA Stepdown (220)

Control room will be next to the HV room with interlocks preventing
the doors to the HV room being opened while the mains to the TC are
energized.
Both coils will require a key to arm the system and a button to be
held to power the NST/pole pig.
Thor will require 2 Keys 6' apart to arm the system and a button to
arm the Pig.

There may be a Faraday cage in the HV room for viewing, if this can
be done with ABSOLUTE safety to persons/ cameras inside...any ideas?

Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group
344 Ionia SW
Grand Rapids MI