[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Corona Loss? AAaaahhhh!!!

In a message dated 4/18/99 4:43:58 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  I'm confused, to say the least.
>  I recently posted a message asking about capacitors, and what is and
>  is not workable. About half the responces I got mentioned corona
>  loss. What is corona loss? What causes it? Why is it a problem? And,
>  of course, how do I prevent it?

Yuri,
   Corona is the ionization of air caused by high voltage.  The negative
effect of it is that it creates ozone and NOx compounds that will attack
plastics.  It also becomes a conductive path for electricity to follow, and
causes losses in high voltage circuits.  It will appear as a bluish purple
light around metal objects(such as capacitor plates, eg).  It is difficult to
see if the room is lighted, but is readily visible in a dark room.
Mike