[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beginner looking for help

to: CL

Nylon (plastic) fasteners in 3/8-16 NC work great to assemble your base
unit.  We use 8 vertical delrin (white plastic) rods to create the
oscillator sub-base assembly.  Best of construct the power supply in a
separate cabinet and then run the HV leads over to the oscillator sub-base.
Vertical delrin rods of 1 1/2 inch dia work good.  For smaller systems use
approx 12-14 inches of vertical height.

Most any style of PVC pipe is fine except black.  The white is usually water
pipe, the grey electrical, and the green is SDR (sewer & drain).  Use
aggressive sandpaper to remove the top layer both outside and inside the
pipe.  Apply 2-3 coats of polyurethane prior to winding.

You can use used magnet wire but since the sec coil is strained with the HV
on it I usually prefer to use new magnet wire to wind the sec coil.  The
high temp 200 degree C. wire is best as it has a very thick coating on it
and good dielectric properties --- also very good breakdown characteristics.
You can wind with surplus wire but a small nick somewhere could cause you
problems after you have spent a lot of time and energy preparing your sec
coil.  Beldon Polythermalize is a very good wire and small coils dont
require that much.

If you are interested I also have plans for a nice small coil that delivers
a solid 20-22 inch long spark off a single 12 kV 60 mA neon sign
transformer.

Good luck.

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net