[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Scroungein' (fwd)

to: Chris

With this large sec size you will definitely need to use a flat spiral to
avoid overcoupling.  Sec wire size should be around 20-22 AWG.   26 AWG is
too small.  You will also be stressing the magnet wire somewhat so be sure
to use NEW not surplus 200 degree C hi-temp magnet wire.  Any small nicks or
abrasions in surplus wire will destroy your coil rapidly.

Use a small 12-16 RPM Bodine surplus motor for winding between two saw
horses.  Use a surplus relay and surplus footswitch to help with the
winding.  Have a friend help feed the wire on the coil with tension while
you run the footswitch.  Use scrap plywood plates for the end plates for
winding.  Later, cover with formica for a nice finish and use as endplates
for your coil.

Use a synchro rotary gap to achieve best performance.  If you need a motor
we have several in stock at reasonable cost.  I don't think you will hit
your performance goal with a static gap.

Don't worry about the primary.  Use some scrap 10 AWG wire first (18-24
turns) and then discard later after you have found your resonance point.
Replace at that time with copper tubing.  Scrape off a section of PVC on
each turn for test connections.  Stagger the test points around the coil.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net