[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 4 inch coil

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "afa2fg" <afa2fg-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
> Hi all,
>  I am presently putting my first coil together. Actually this is my 2nd.
> secondary. I started to do a 2 1/2 in. secondary but changed my mind and
> have decided to go with a 4 in. I plan to wind it 20 inches tall with 24 ga.
> wire. The primary will be 4 ga. solid copper wire. It will have an 11 inch
> inside diameter with 1/4 in. spacing, and a total outside diameter of 19.14
> inches. The cap for the primary tank circuit will be about .0029 mf. The
> toroid will be 4 in. aluminum flex tubing. Diameter yet to be determined. I
> will be using a 15 KV-at-30 ma. NST.  I am building one of Richard Quicks'
> cylinder spark gaps. Am using 1 in. copper pipe with .028 gap spacing. there
> will be 13  pipes -at- 4in. long.
>    Any comments on whether this thing will work??? Any and all coments
> welcome.
> Thanx
> George   Stein

George,

This sounds alot like my first setup, although a bit larger. I think
that if you connect all of that properly with thick wire, and build a
good RF ground connection and safety gap, you should be close...

I would try for about double the capacitance in your tank circuit, if
memory serves me, about .0066 mF. (you should check using a program, or
the "math" post on the list homepage).  The coil will fire with the
smaller cap, but the sparks will be smaller. This is actually a good way
to "ballpark" tune your coil, keeping in mind that bigger capacitance
means fewer primary turns. Also, start with your gap close, and widen it
bit by bit. As for the toroid, I would make it pretty big, maybe 15-20
in. diameter if possible. A bigger toroid will add turns to your
primary, and usually, length to your sparks.

my humble opinion.

Good luck, and post results

wells