[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Material

>	I was wondering if it is a good practice to use flexible
aluminum duct
>plain as a torus without coating it with the shiny metal flue tape?
I had
>never seen it encouraged, but I found the flue tape to be too
expensive for
>my budget.  I have noticed that most often the torus should be
smooth, and
>if that be the case then I'm sure the plain duct would be right
out.  Thank
>you for any comments,
>
>-Andy

I've seen thes done lots of times.  I had an idea a while ago about
electroplating a Al duct toroid w/ copper until it was smooth.  In
addition to a smooth toroid ( if that realy matters) you wouldn't
have to worry about dents so much.  Pro: nice looking smooth shiney
toroid made in your basement Cons: It would be heavy, take lots copper
(how much does copper cost), it would take forever, and might not work
(might still be bumpy). Any input?
       Some where (somebody could probally tell me where) on the
internet I saw a toroid consiting of foam circles, about 2" thick
aranged on a large ring.  The suface of the toroid consisted of Al
screening, the kind used on screen doors, atached to the edge of the
foam disk.  It was for a big coil and probaly would only work good on
one.

Chris, via the inter-thingy

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com