[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Small nsts w/ delusions of granduer

> Original Poster: "chris morgan" <crmorgan-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> If I took a 7.5kV/30mA NST, and ran 220 V though it would it act as a
> 15 kV/30mA NST?
>
> Chris, via the inter-thingy

Chris, and all:

You will saturate the transformer core long before you reach
220 V.  You can overvoltage these upto around 140 volts (60 Hz)
or so.  More importantly though, keep in mind, neon sign
transformers are not designed to handle tesla coil duties to
begin with.  Using a higher input voltage will increase the
probability of failure of the transformer.  This probability
of failure is sometimes forgotten when utilizing apparatus
outside its designed operating parameters - it may work just
fine, but you are increasing your chances of it failing
(especially if you are increasing the main gap at the same time).

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage