[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Caps
> Date: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 3:52 PM
>
> Original Poster: Scott Harris <srharris-at-Princeton.EDU>
>
> Nobody answered my questions, so I'll ask again.
>
> Doorknob caps:  How suitable are they for a NST powered Tesla coil?

Depending on the kind, they work fine. A bit lossy, compared to some other
types of cap, so you have to make sure they don't overheat.  doorknob
"transmitting" caps, designed for high RF currents work fine.
I've got a little 3" diam coil using some 2700 pF 40 kV Sprague (now
Ceramite) units.

> Do HV ceramic caps work poorly, or not at all?

If you are talking about the ceramic disk caps, they don't work all that
well (too lossy).

> Does anybody know of good commercial sources for new and/or surplus HV
caps.

Resonance Research sells to the TC market as a retail outlet for Maxwell
Labs.
Maxwell Labs (San Diego, CA) is a well known manufacturer of pulse caps.
Aerovox, Plastic Caps Inc, Physics International are others.
Commercial pulse caps are fairly expensive (hundreds of $$) but, used
within their ratings, are rock solid and reliable.