[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Safety Question

In a message dated 4/26/99 9:10:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I've heard that it's a good idea to put a high value resistor across the
>  capacitor, so that the capacitor will discharge safely and calmly very
>  quickly after the coil is turned off, and also to prevent against
>  "ghost" charges.
>
>  My question is:
>
>  How do I determine the value of the resistor (both Ohm and Watt), so
>  that maximum safety and maximum performance are both achieved?
>
>  And, of course, where can I get these resistors and how much should I
>  expect to pay for them?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Adam

Adam,

If you are using a design that utilizes a single capacitor in the tank
circuit, as most of us do, you do not need a bleeder resistor.  Connect the
H.V. power supply directly across the spark gap.  From the spark gap, one
side goes to the cap and the other side goes to the inside of the primary.
Then the primary tap lead goes to the other side of the cap.  When you turn
the power off, the primary of the transformer will discharge the cap.

Of course, a bleeder resistor is always a safe way to go which may prevent a
problem should some part of the circuit get disconnected with power still
applied.

Ed Sonderman