[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
> Hi Scott,
>
>         I use 10 TDK HI-Q doorknobs wired in parallel with excellent results.
> These are supposed to be real expensive fancy caps that I lucked on for a
> super price.  However, the are apparently lower Q versions that have a
> habit of dying in Tesla service.  From what I hear, if they cost like 100
> bucks "EACH" they are good.  If they cost like 10 bucks each they are
> bad...  Some doorknobs are made for easy DC applications while others are
> for critical high power RF stuff.  Unless you get lucky like I did, they
> are not a reasonable choice given the high cost.  Personally, I would go
> for the MMC primary caps that so many (me too) have found to be and
> excellent choice at a reasonable cost.
>
>         Terry
>
> At 05:47 PM 4/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Nobody answered my questions, so I'll ask again.
> >
> >Doorknob caps:  How suitable are they for a NST powered Tesla coil?
> >
> >Do HV ceramic caps work poorly, or not at all?
> >
> >Does anybody know of good commercial sources for new and/or surplus HV caps.
> >
> >-Scott

If you look through the archives, you'll find a couple messages saying that
doorknob caps are doomed in Tesla Coil service, because the electrodes wear
down
faster than you would like.  I have no other knowledge about this, except
that I
have also heard that HV ceramic caps are a bad choice for the Tank Cap, though
I'm not sure why...

Hope this helps,
Adam