[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Transformers

Greg:

Single bushing transformers are used when the primary is Y connected phase
to ground/neutral.  The other end of the primary is connected to the tank
internally.  There is a ground connection terminal on the outside of the
tank, usually on the bottom third of the tank and toward the back. The
single bushing primary reduces the cost of the transformer in several ways.
Since one side of the primary is grounded the insulation requirements are
less and only one surge arrestor is required.  That is actually what the
'second bushing hung outboard on a bracket' is.  Transformers with two HV
bushings are used in delta connections or Y connections phase to phase.  I
prefer the single bushing transformer for coiling since one side of the TC
circuit is grounded, but this is only my opinion.  You can always ground one
side of a two bushing transformer to create the same effect.  I have not
seen a difference in cost in the two configurations, at least not from the
standpoint of getting one used/rebuilt from an electric company.  Im sure
there is a difference in the cost of the new unit. Also, when powering up a
single bushing transformer, be quite sure the tank is solidly grounded! Hope
this helps.

Eric
epdavidson-at-earthlink-dot-net