[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary construction

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Erthwin-at-aol-dot-com
>
> I just went out and bought 100feet of 1/4" copper tubing for my primary, my
> TC is run off of a 7.5/30 NST and I have 4 strings of 10 capacitors at 0.05uF
> 1kv each (that gives a final rating of 20kv -at- 0.01uF), I'll be using a 6"
> secondary ~25"-30" length so to achieve resonance I'll need something in the
> area of 14 turns in my primary (given a spacing of 1/8" between each turn) I
> was looking into possible frames to put the primary on and realized I might
> have a slight problem. I don't have a drill press or a table saw, anything I
> build is done with a hand held drill and a circular saw so obviously it's
> going to be rather hard for me to get the holes drilled with anything near
> precision and then trying to cut along the holes would be next to impossible
> to do without ruining the entire structure, any suggestions or alternate
> ideas?
>
> Left, left, I hadda good brain but it left...
> ---Daniel

Daniel,

Sears, Home Depot and other HW stores sell inexpensive fixtures that
will clamp onto  your electric drill so as to make a small drill press.
This should allow you to drill holes at right angles to the surface. By
always using a center punch to precisely start a small-diameter starting
hole, you can then follow up with a larger drill bit and end up with
holes how, and where, you want them.

-- Bert --