[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Back from the overworked

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Clifford D Fahrer <cfahrer-at-in-touch-dot-net>
>
> All Coilers on the list:
>
> Sorry I haven't had a chance to contribute lately, but we have been
> trying to keep up with work etc. A friend and myself,( along with Bill
> the Arcstarters advice), are attempting to build a 28KVA System for
> display.   My part is the RSG.
>
> I plan to use a 2hp sync motor.
>
> Has anyone on the list ever used "ultra high molecular  weight
> polyetheylene" for the rotor matl on an RSG? (I'm not sure of the
> spelling).  This plastic is white and seems to have good strength.
> I plan to rotate eight tungsten points mounted near the outside diameter
> of the disc through two sets of stationary gaps,  (Also tungsten).
>
> I am curious about the heat and insulation properties of this plastic. (
> We will be using a 17,000 volt tank circuit.)  The rotating disc will be
> .75 inch thick and 9.5 inches in diameter.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cliff Fahrer

  I use alot of UHMW PE. at work .... it's standard characteristics are as
follows

working temps  -300 F  to +180 F
excellent dielectric
self lubricating  (   known as the poor mans Teflon )
machines well with sharp bits  ( can cause chatter with dull bits )
doesnt gum up when machining as lexan or plexi will ...

since you are going with 3/4 " matl. try to make the mounting assys. for the
electrodes in the 1/2" dia. range. I am assuming that you are going to spin
this disc at 3600 rpm.  The larger dia of mount allows a bit more "surface"
area ... therefore  more resistance to a " fly-thru" .  Try to keep the
weight down to at least 1/2 oz. per assy. If you have access to ceramic
sleeves, drill the plate for them and then insert the electrode assys. into
those. This will keep excessive heat from being transfered to the plastic

your best bet is to use G-10 Garolite  ( fiberglass phenolic board )  a
12X12X 3/4" piece is about  60 $  but its worth it .....availiable from
McMaster Carr
404-346-7000

Scot D