[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rf ground and coupling

In a message dated 8/20/99 7:57:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: Brad Shelton <brad_shelton-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>  How do youconnect the primary coil to the secondary and how doyou hook
>  upthe rf ground.
>
>  Brad
>
>  reply to brad_shelton-at-yahoo-dot-com

Brad,

You don't connect the primary coil to the secondary.  You want them to be
isolated from each other.  This keeps the 60 cycle component of the primary
out of the secondary - safer that way.  The bottom end of the secondary needs
to be connected to a good RF ground, best done with a separate ground rod or
rods depending on the size and power of the system.  My coils use a lug
soldered on the bottom end of the secondary wire.  I run a brass bolt through
the lug and the mounting platform and pick this up underneath the coil with
the copper ground strap (for the larger coil) and with solid copper wire for
the smaller coil, which then goes to the RF ground.

Ed Sonderman