[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big Daddy Vacuum Tube

>THis would make a nice tube coil.  max voltage rating for plate is
>6kV.

How can I test the tube to be sure it will work? It's old and may be worn
out. Nobody in there right mind would throw a tube this expensive away for
nothing.
Also, the idea of making a really cool little display occured to me.

1. What pins are for the filiment? Can I find them with a VOM (ie a certain
resistance rance will be the filiment). If I can light the filement with
110VAC I'll be thrilled, but It will probably be like 6 or 10 VDC at 20
amps, just to make life difficult.

2. Can the tube be refilled and made into a *really* cool plasma-sphere
(alright....alright........a plasma cylinder). I could get the tube refilled
easily at the local neon shop, and it should be rather easy to find a
terminal inside.....duh.....all I'm wondering is, is it possible?

Also, there's a rather icky-pooh (<---Geek Group technical term) dried brown
residue inside the tube. I can't figure out what it is, or why it's there.
Any ideas? It looks like burnt (carmelised/carbonised) oil, bong-resin, or
some kind of insulatiion (corona/RF suppression?)

Alright guys.....lemmie have it....

The Coronaphile
Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group