[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Volltage Multipliers/DC supplies

>     Could you elaborate upon this?  how do DC supplies have significant
stored
> energy?

Most DC supplies have some sort of filter capacitor on the output (or a
filter inductor) to reduce the ripple by storing energy. A voltage
multiplier must have capacitors.  Modern HV power supplies use high
switching rates to reduce the size of the required caps, and hence the
stored energy, however, a supply running off 50 or 60Hz is going to need
big filter caps to make real DC (as opposed to pulsed). A three phase
rectifier would have lower ripple, needing smaller caps, but is probably
not going to be used by most homebrewers due to the lack of 3phase power.

>  How does this affect quenching?

In most simple TC designs, we rely on the AC waveform going to zero to
guarantee that the spark gap shuts down between pulses exciting the tuned
circuit. In a DC circuit, once you strike the arc, it will stay forever.

If you had a DC supply, and used resonant charging of a smaller cap through
an inductor and diode, you can get the gap to quench.

  What type of gap would you use on a